Monday, June 10, 2019

Extend Partition After Installing Dual Boot


Hi guys,

Last time, I installed dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 in my leptop.
I allocated only 25GB for my Ubuntu but then I need to allocate more spaces.
So what I did is extend my Ubuntu partition via my Windows. Below are the steps

1. Download MiniTool Partition wizard
2. Free some spaces that you need. ex: 300GB. This free spaces will indicated as "Unallocated"
3. Select your Ubuntu partition (mine is dev/sda3) Note: This Ubuntu partition need to be adjacent to "Unallocated", otherwise you can not "merge" these 2 partitions.

  • If your Ubuntu partition is not adjacent to "Unallocated". Make it be adjacent first:
    • Backup your data
    • Use your Ubuntu OS and install GParted if it is'nt installed yet
    • Drag all necessary partition to make these 2 partitions be adjacent and "Unallocated" to the most bottom.

    • In my case I moved dev/sda2 to the left. 



    • Then dev/sda3 (Ubuntu partition) to the left. 

    • Now dev/sda3 is adjacent to "Unallocated". Grow dev/sda3 from 25GB to merge dev/sda3 with "Unallocated"



4. Select your Ubuntu partition and Click Move/Resize Partition.
Extend Ubuntu partition by dragging handle to the Extend direction.
5. Click Apply



Reference:
how to extend partition: https://www.partitionwizard.com/resizepartition/resize-partition-ubuntu.html
how to make partition so it will be adjacent: https://www.partitionwizard.com/resizepartition/how-to-merge-unallocated-spaces.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers